AB TCPA Settlement
- Forms can be filed online or sent through the mail
- Extensive Frequently Asked questions list is provided
- Settlement Administrator contact information is available
When it comes to marketing phone calls, using an automatic dialing system/pre-recorded voice and calling people listed on the Do Not Call Registry are both gigantic “no-nos” as far as the Telephone Consumer Protection Act is concerned. One recently settled lawsuit that illustrates allegations of such actions is Youngman v. A&B Insurance and Financial. The class action lawsuit was filed over claims that the Defendant violated the TCPA by placing calls to cell phones using an automatic dialing system/pre-recorded voice or by making several calls within any one year period to a phone number that was registered on the Do Not Call Registry for at least 31 days. In addition, the Plaintiffs also allege the Defendant did not have permission of the call recipients to place the calls in the first place. However, it needs to be pointed out that the Defendant not only denies that it did anything wrong but also denies that the case would even be certified as a class action in litigation.
A Closer Look at the AB TCPA Settlement
- The calls must have been received between August 18th, 2012 and April 26th, 2017
- The deadline for claim filing, requests for exclusions, and objections is July 9th, 2018
- A hearing to review the fairness of the settlement is scheduled for August 30th, 2018
- Class Members who take no action will get nothing and give up the right to sue (ouch)
- It’s estimated that Class Members will receive $85 per claim (the key word is ESTIMATED)
Those who believe they fit the description of an eligible Class Member can begin the online filing process by going to the AB TCPA Settlement page and clicking the File Claim tab located at the top right hand corner. Claim forms that are being submitted by mail must be addressed to the Settlement Administrator and post-marked no later than the July 9th, 2018 deadline. Many questions regarding the settlement can likely be answered by reviewing the FAQs found in the class notice or at the settlement page. The Settlement Administrator can be contacted to help answer questions that weren’t satisfied by the FAQs.
Settlement Administrator Contact Information
- PO Box 404063, Louisville, KY 40233-4063