Requesting Payment from the AVF Settlement
- Filing is available online or through the mail
- Frequently Asked Questions are provided
- Administration can be contacted for help
It appears the ongoing litigation Bowman v. Art Van Furniture will soon be coming to a conclusion as the parties involved have come to a pending settlement agreement valued at $5,875,000. The settlement, if approved, will resolve allegations that the Defendant violated the Telephone Consumer Protection Act by placing prerecorded phone calls without ever gaining the consent of the owners of the numbers being called. It should be made clear that the court has not made a ruling as to which side is right and which is wrong (hence the previously mentioned settlement). Additionally, the Defendant denies it has violated any law and has raised several defenses to the allegations made in the suit. With that being said, both parties have agreed to go ahead and settle the matter to avoid the risks and costs that loom large if the case proceeds all the way to a trial. Those who believe they are eligible for payment can begin by going to the AVF Settlement page and clicking the Submit a Claim tab.
A Few Things to Keep In Mind About the AVF Settlement
- Phone calls must have been received between May 23rd, 2013 and July 23rd, 2018
- The deadline to file a claim, request an exclusion, or object is September 26th, 2018
- A hearing to rule on the fairness of the settlement is scheduled for October 24th, 2018
- 1 claim per phone number (a claim can’t be made for every call received unfortunately)
- The amount of each payment depends on the total number of eligible claims filed
When filing online either a Claim ID or affected phone number must be entered to gain access to the claim form (the Claim ID should be located on the top left hand side of the notice received). Those who plan on filing by mail should make sure the correspondence is post-marked no later than the September 26th, 2018 filing deadline and sent directly to the Settlement Administrator. The Settlement Administrator is also a good resource for those with questions about the AVF Settlement. Those who prefer to help themselves can try to answer their own questions by taking a look at the available FAQs located within the notice.
Settlement Administrator Contact Information
- PO Box 3410, Portland, OR 97208-3410