www.naturalbeveragesettlement.com – Submit Claim for Payment

Filing an Online Claim for the Natural Beverage Settlement

  • Contact information must be entered to begin filing
  • A variety of important dates apply to the settlement
  • Case Administrator contact information is available

Every so often a product’s claims of being all natural is challenged by a class action lawsuit.  A recent example of such a filing can be found in the recently settled case called Krinsk v. Monster Beverage Corporation.  The suit was file over allegations that the Defendant (Monster Energy Company) labeled its Hansen’s Natural Juices, Hansen’s Smoothie Nectars, Hubert’s Lemonade, and Hubert Half and Half Lemonade products as being all natural even though artificial ingredients and/or added colors may have been in the mix.  While the Defendant denies the allegations brought forth in the suit, it has determined it’s in its best interest to put an end to the matter by settling the case prior to trial (the Plaintiffs have also come to the same conclusion).  Those who wish to file a claim for payment can begin by going to the Natural Beverage Settlement page and entering a name, address, and email address to start the online filing process.

More Information on the Natural Beverage Settlement

  • August 15th, 2018 is the deadline by which objections to the settlement must be filed
  • The deadline for opt-out requests and claim form filing is set for October 12th, 2018
  • The Final Hearing Date is currently scheduled for September 14th, 2018 at 9:00 AM
  • The court will decide whether to approve the settlement on the Final Hearing Date

It’s important to point out that the Hansen’s products must have been purchased between the dates of June 19th, 2010 and June 12th, 2015 while the Hubert’s products must have been  purchased between June 19th, 2010 and January 1st, 2014.  Those with questions about the Natural Beverage Settlement can try taking a look at the available Frequently Asked Questions (available both online and within the notice).  In the event the FAQs don’t provide a satisfactory answer the Case Administrator can be contacted for further assistance (usually a good idea to take a look at the FAQs before taking the time to place a phone call).

Case Administrator Contact Information

  • 50 Corporate Park, Irvine, CA 92606
  • 888-404-0507