Telenav TCPA Settlement
- Claim filing available over the web or by mail
- Administrator contact information is available
- Frequently Asked Questions list is provided
Mobile apps have become a huge part of the modern lifestyle of many consumers. However, when it’s alleged that requests to download such an app have been sent via text message without the permission of the recipient, even the mighty mobile app can quickly become the center of controversy. Similar circumstances appear to be the origins of a recently settled class action lawsuit called Gergetz v. Telenav, Inc. The suit was filed over allegations that the Defendant violated the Telephone Consumer Protection Act by sending text messages that encouraged recipients to download an app called “Scout” without ever first receiving express consent to do so. However, it is important to make clear that the Defendant denies the allegations brought forth in the suit along with any claims that any laws were violated. At this point it doesn’t appear that a final ruling will ever be made in favor of either party as the case has come to a pending settlement valued at $3,500,000. Those who believe they are eligible to claim a piece of this fairly large chunk of change can begin by going to the Telenav TCPA Settlement page and clicking the Submit a Claim tab.
Alrighty then….what else should I know?
- Messages must have been received between July 28th, 2012 and March 5th, 2018
- The deadline by which claims must be filed (online or by mail) is August 28th, 2018
- August 16th, 2018 is the deadline for objections and exclusion requests to be made
- Those who DO NOTHING will GET NOTHING and lose the rights to sue (not advised!)
- The Final Approval Hearing is currently scheduled to be held on August 16th, 2018
After clicking the Submit a Claim link at the Telenavc TCPA Settlement page either a Class Member ID or affected phone number must be entered to begin the online filing process (the question mark icon can be clicked to get a visual of where the ID is located on the notice). Those who plan on filing via mail must make sure the correspondence is post-marked prior to the August 28th, 2018 filing deadline and sent directly to the Settlement Administrator. The Settlement Administrator can also be contacted by those with unanswered questions about the settlement. Those who prefer to help themselves can try searching through the Frequently Asked Questions (available at the Telenav TCPA Settlement page and on the notice) for the answers they need.
Settlement Administrator Contact Information
- PO Box 2995, Portland, OR 97208-2995