- Claim forms can be submitted online or through mail
- A variety of important deadlines apply to the settlement
- Settlement Administrator can be contacted with questions
The average consumer rarely appreciates feeling they have been misled about the value an item. When consumers begin to feel this way about a retailer’s advertising methods there exists the potential for a class action lawsuit. The lawsuit known as Staci Chester, et al. v. The TJX Companies, Inc. et al was filed over allegations that the Defendant used false or misleading price comparison advertising through the “Compare At” prices shown on the price tags attached to items sold at the stores (TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Home Goods). The advertising method in question is alleged to be in violation of various California laws that prohibit false advertising and unfair competition. The Defendant has countered these allegations denying that it did anything wrong (including use of false or misleading price comparison advertising) and also denying that consumers have been in any way harmed. The court has not weighed in on these arguments and likely never will (at least not at a trial anyways) as the case has come to a pending settlement valued at $8.5 MILLION. Those who believe they are due compensation can begin the online claim filing process by going to the TJX Settlement page and clicking the File a Claim tab.
Thanks! I think I’m gonna need some more information though….
- Purchases must have been made between July 17th, 2011, and December 6th, 2017
- The settlement applies to purchases that were made ONLY at stores located in CA
- Claims must be submitted (through mail or online) by the April 9th, 2018 deadline
- April 9th, 2018 is also the deadline by which requests for exclusion must be filed
- Eligible Class Members who file valid (and timely) claims will receive a TJX credit
- The hearing on whether the settlement will be approved is set for May 14th, 2018
The amount of the TJX merchandise credit that each Class Member will receive is based on the total amount of valid claims that are filed (the more claims filed the less the credit and vice versa). Class Members who plan on filing by mail or requesting an exclusion will need to make sure correspondence is postmarked by the deadline of April 9th, 2018. Many questions regarding the settlement can be answered by reviewing the FAQS posted at the top right hand side of the TJX Settlement page. Those with questions that have gone unanswered after reviewing the FAQs (or those who just don’t feel like reading) can try reaching out to the Settlement Administrator for assistance.
Settlement Administrator Contact Information
- PO Box 6878, Broomfield, CO 80021